The Giant African Snail (Lissachatina fulica or GAS) was first found in southern Florida in the
1960s, and it took 10 years and $1 million to eradicate
Monday, July 28, 2014
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
The phrase dog days refers to the sultry days of summer. In the Northern Hemisphere, the dog days of summer are most commonly experienced in the months of July and August.
jpr: Me ma woulld not let us go near our dog during these hot days.
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
A lenticular lens is an array of magnifying lenses, designed so that
|example of lenticular lens art|
The vision of a house fly has same principle.
Sunday, July 20, 2014
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
Monday, July 14, 2014
Sunday, July 13, 2014
Friday, July 11, 2014
|arrow pints to the fish|
Old strip mines become water filled. Many crystal clear and one can see the fish moving below the surface. I'm told the fish arrive as eggs on the wings and body of aquatic birds. This habitat is undisturbed and hard to get access so the fish get large and feisty.
Thursday, July 10, 2014
Monday, July 7, 2014
|truck carrying fireworks explodes kills 4|
Fireworks by the numbers
- In 2011, fireworks caused an estimated 17,800 reported fires, including 1,200 total structure fires, 400 vehicle fires, and 16,300 outside and other fires. These fires resulted in an estimated eight reported civilian deaths, 40 civilian injuries and $32 million in direct property damage.
- In 2012, U.S. hospital emergency rooms treated an estimated 8,700 people for fireworks related injuries; 55% of 2012 emergency room fireworks-related injuries were to the extremities and 31% were to the head.
- The risk of fireworks injury was highest for young people ages 15-24, followed by children under 10.
- On Independence Day in a typical year, far more U.S. fires are reported than on any other day, and fireworks account for two out of five of those fires, more than any other cause of fires.
- “Lawsuits are common”, says attorney Peter Calabrese. “Lawsuits concerning firework related property damage usually involve claims for trespass. A trespass occurs when a person or an “object” enters property owned by another without permission. In cases involving fireworks, the person who caused the “firework” to enter another person’s property without permission is liable for trespass and oftentimes may be found to be negligent as well.
Sunday, July 6, 2014
jpr: I have a large field behind; wooded with acres of mowed ground. All in all I have some 20 wild flowers scratches. One such sits at the field's southern edge. Last evening three (3) young girls [ages, 6,7,8] ish discovered this bit of one garden and its treasures in assortment. Readily they picked the lot to ferry them home to their mothers. How scrumptious! I picked wild flowers for my mother until she passed.
Saturday, July 5, 2014
jpr: I have several wild flower gardens about my place. One just off my deck gives much delight for view of finches, hummers, and butterfly. These gardens are perennial which give rise to varying flowers from spring to late summer. Hurrah for mother nature.
Friday, July 4, 2014
Thursday, July 3, 2014
Mount Vesuvius is best known for its eruption in AD 79. Pompeii, on one side of the mountain, and Herculaneum on the other. It is commonly known that Pompeii was destroyed by spewing stones, ash, fumes, and molten rock. the energy poured on that city was a HUNDRED THOUSAND TIMES the energy released on Hiroshima. As bad as that was for the Pompeiites, the Herculaneumites fared even worse. The main wave of super heated air flowed in their direction but unlike the folks in Pompeii the citizens of Herculaneum need not have worried about being buried. They exploded! especially their heads. The fluids and gooey matter inside the body would heat so rapidly and intensely that the insides would literally explode.
|I am told that Naples is not the best place to live in Italy.|
Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Tuesday, July 1, 2014
The World Cup of Swamp Soccer began this week in Argyll, Scotland. The co-ed 8 player teams have gathered from across Europe for the 3 day tournament. Played on a much smaller field in knee deep mud, the game has become very popular among the drinking and fun loving kind, and there is now a world wide governing body.