Monday, May 31, 2010

In honor of Memorial Day

Letter from Bill McDonald to Mary McElwain November 11 1942

Hello Dear,

Received a letter today and one yesterday. Very nice.

Do you know what I want for xmas....You!!! See if you can get it for me. The furlough rumor is out again. This time it is 7 days with travelling time. If so that will give me about 8 days. None are to exceed 15 days. I could mooch a day or two, that sure would make a nice xmas.
Dear, going over seas is something I don't like to talk about very much. It is so uncertain. Some fellows have been writing home, that are in other divisions, and saying they are going over. They have been doing that ever since they have been in the army, yet the are still on this side. You see there are so many things happening that lead them to think that way. Things like the issuing of new equipment and certain other things but yet that isn't a definite sign. You can never tell until you go. With the opening of the new front, things are more uncertain than ever. They are going to need lots of men over there. Frankly I think it will be another 6 months before this division goes over, if it ever does. I think the war will be over in another 6 months if not sooner. I think we may move to the east coast and lay there for 3 months or so. That seems to be the opinion of most of the fellows here. (Dinah Shore is singing "I am Dreaming of a White Christmas the song that makes me very homesick for you.)
I could do several things to keep from going over, but that is being a coward. Such things as O.C.S. and the air corp. But I won't do it. If I should go over it is very certain that I will come back. That you can depend on.
This outfit here is very discouraging some times, yet I like it. Several of us have been pushed around when it comes to ratings, yet when we go into actual combat, things will be a different story. You don't become a hero or get much praise but we do our work and do it well. We are doing our part anyhow.
Honey, I hope this letter doesn't make you feel bad and not do anything hasty or foolish. I am sure it won't though. This is a subject I don't like to think much about as I said before don't put too much stock in what I have wrote here because things are so uncertain. This is just my opinion.
They had to issue me new cloths today. I have been running around with my knees and a-- sticking out. It got too chilly at night.
We are having a great deal of trouble with our laundry here. I certainly hope they get it settled soon because I am not a very good wash woman.
They finally got around to issuing us cots. I can't say I like the change. It makes it much harder to get up in the morning.
I can see you now, doing the house work in your slacks and sweater. You certainly did look cute the first morning I came up there on my furlough. I shall never forget it.
You should be very careful with Agnes C. You know she gets very tired. Jay certainly is the man about town. He reminds me of somebody, just who, I prefer not to say. Watch him though. That last remark meant no offense but was meant only in fun.
Well dear thats my limit. I love you very much and put it down in the books that we will be married by xmas or just a little after.
Lots and Lots of love
Yours and I mean it
Bill.

3 comments:

  1. This letter is one of several found in a box of stuff Grandma gave to my dad. I'm working on getting them all transcribed for the family albums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Megan. precious. didn't realize my dad could write so well.

    ReplyDelete