Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Some stats

The tip of a 1/3 inch long hour-hand on a wristwatch travels at 0.00000275 mph.
Most People use over 16,000 gallons of water in their lifetimes, or 2.5 quarts per day.
There are about 75 million horses in the world. A horses height is measured in hands. One hand equals about four inches.
Being intoxicated had desirable spiritual significance to the ancient Egyptians. They often gave their children names like "How Drunk is Cheops" or "How Intoxicated is Hathor."
Butterflies taste with their feet.

2 comments:

  1. A pint of ale travels from the bar top to my mouth at .010 mph at 8 o'clock and .00007 at 11 o'clock. A tinkle at 9 o'clock has a volume of .75 ml and at 11:30 has a volume of 4 liters, or so it seems. Thanks for the post JP. It has spurred my scientific and metric curiosity. Life sure can be fun sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And at 2 am I fall to the floor at the velocity of 32 ft/s² as "feet per second per second". I will not reach terminal velocity unless I fall off the water tower at the top of the hill and I may not even then if I flap my arms. My IQ falls 90 points between 8 o'clock and midnite, basically bottoming out at 12:01.

    ReplyDelete