Friday, July 22, 2011

Appalachian Mountain Talk

A fine kittle of fish. What a mess.
Bleeding like a stuck hog - bleeding profusely
Caliption fit - very angry
Consarn hit - Something didn't work right
Fer git hit. Forget it.
Good Book - The Bible
Grinnin like a mule eating briars - big smile
Great day in the morning - surprised
He couldn't hit the side of a barn. - doesn't have good aim
He's old as the hills. - very old
He was mad as a hornet. very upset
He's rotten to the core. - completely bad
Hits hotteren blue blazes
Hit doesn't mean doodley squat. - nothing
Hit beats the heck out of me. - doesn't know why.
I ain't heard nor tell of him in yars. - haven't heard from him
I ain't seed hide nor hair of him - hasn't seen.
I'd better be gitten. better be going.
I don't keer. - care, yes: Would you like some potatoes? I don't keer.
I laughed so hard I liked to have died. - just too much
I picked a right smart of beans. A good many
I'll be durn. - surprised
If that don't take the cake. - kinda disgusted or surprised
I'm fit as a fiddle. - fine
I'm so tard I can't see straight - very tired.
I'm jest plum tuckered out
I've ben fair to middling / tolerbly well. - answer to, how are you?
Jest a cotten picken minute. - halting someone's remarks.
Meaner than a snake - very mean
Scares the living daylights out of me - very scared
Set down an be quite - antiquated command to children
She's got a face that would stop an eight day clock.
She looks like death eatin' a cracker. - pale
She was fit to be tied. - very irritated
You ain't ah jest whistling Dixie - the truth of something.
Were you born in a barn? - left the door open
What'n the Sam Hill? - puzzled
Ye jist ain't whistlin Dixie
You'll ketch your death of cold. - not coveren' up
You're jest making a mountain out of a mole hill. - exaggerated


jpr: sounds plumb regular to me

No comments:

Post a Comment