Monday, November 16, 2015

Experiment in the Field

Goal: to get local deer to approach me close enough that they can eat out of my hand.
Subjects: I take my daily walk around a nearby field. The field is surrounded on three sides by a  few acres of woodland, and streams.. Deer eat in the field and hang out in the woods.  They visit all the neighborhoods nearby at various times but they are not approachable.  I have been walking around this field and into the woods for about 3 years now and over that time the deer have become more accustomed to me, though not friendly until lately when one of the older girls often comes within 20 yards of me and very calmly watches me for awhile.  Her companions are skittish and don't come close. I have only seen one buck in the area, one time, probably intimidated by my musk.
Deer, as if looking at me.
Apple - golden delicious.
Method   I have for several days been leaving apples in one of the coveys that they often use and nearby where they often feed. I also give several sharp whistles as I approach the place and while laying the apples.
Results after one weekso far: the apples are gone when I inspect the next day.  No core or any sign of them. Have no idea if they are taking them or if some other creature is.  I figure there is a better than guess likelihood that they are but who knows.


1 comment:

  1. Cover ur self in deer urine and old canvas bags...yeah better carry tin cup

    ReplyDelete