Sunday, January 7, 2018

Bald Knob, Cold Knob

  
About 30 years or so ago, the family (me, wife, 2 young boys) took a trip on the Cass Railroad in WVa.  It was a nice fall day, about 70 degrees at the departure point.  As the train ambled up the ridiculously beautiful mountain, the temperature kept falling.  By the time we made it to the mountain top it was well below freezing with a fierce wind to boot.  The train was not heated.  I took off my long sleeve shirt to give one of my kids some warmth.  I still had a t-shirt on but was as cold as I could be.  My wife had a light jacket that she wrapped around the other child, leaving her like me wearing a short sleeve t-shirt.  We were all shivering with no recourse.  An hour and a half up the mountain;  an hour and a half return.  Someone, a sympathetic woman gave us a chocolate bar that we split and tasted so comforting..
I love W.Va but that day we were unprepared.
By the way, near the top of the mountain was the remnants of a small town tucked in a small hollow.  I don't remember the name but at the time it was recognized has having the coldest temp ever recorded in the Continental US.

No comments:

Post a Comment