Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Thanksgiving after thought.

Buffet Table Decoration for Thanksgiving with Turkey

The tradition for this part of the clan is to gather on Thanksgiving at Mara’s house where the darling child, with help from others, prepares a spectacular meal.  One can hardly get through the appetizers.  And as I sat, stuffed to the limits, I was again reminded of Thanksgiving at 838, and the one time of the year when you knew there would be ‘enough.’  And I think about the cardboard charity boxes that fed us, the ones that so excited mom.  Have no idea from where they came, church and nuns probably, and others who made the goods available to them.  Wish I knew so I might thank them in my prayers.  Think I’ll thank them anonymously, as they originally intended.  They have no idea what their kindness meant to hungry little boys.

4 comments:

  1. you touch on some personally meaningful thoughts that i may share someday but for now I'll just say that Thanksgiving to me was the ONLY holiday. Like you said, there was "enough", and it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For said reasons it remains my only holiday

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is amazing, as i too consider it the only real holiday we had, certainly wasn't xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am gratefully to fr john o'riely

    ReplyDelete