Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Irish Christianity

Celtic Christianity holds many subtle practices and beliefs that reflect pre-christian traditions.  Some, like the sacrament of Penance have been absorbed by the larger church.  Others have not.  Christianity, for example, holds that God’s protection centers on His presence within us.  The Celts, however, hold that God protects us by surrounding us as a barrier to evil.  Two Irish prayers make the point.

Christ be with me,
be after me,
be before me,
and be at my right and left hand.
May everything I do be for Christ.

Circle me O God, Keep hope within, Despair without.
Circle me O God, Keep peace within, Keep turmoil out.
Circle me O God, Keep calm within, Keep storms without.
Circle me O God, Keep strength within, Keep weakness out

No comments:

Post a Comment