Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Mikey? Are you listening?


Darth Vader outside a country house and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters visiting Paris.  An artist in Canada is turning old charity shop paintings into new pieces of art by adding in new characters.  David Irvine from just outside Toronto has just one rule - never paint over the original signature.  "They are usually old and in bad shape so I touch up marks and scratches to bring it back to its original form then I add in my own elements."  "Generally most are bought at thrift shops, yard sales and even salvaged from the curb. I hate seeing waste and when I see a painting collecting dust on a shelf, I see potential, not garbage."  He sells his work through Etsy and says pieces can sell for between $300 and $800.

2 comments:

  1. Mikey, if collected bits of others paintings were put onto one canvas with "jpr" scribbled on the bottom would this sell as original??

    ReplyDelete
  2. heh heh! absolutely. Artists "sample" major works all the time, usually adding some element or altering the pix otherwise. Go Tutor Turtle!

    ReplyDelete