Wednesday, March 27, 2013

An Editorial


Forgive me.  The church of my mother is in trouble, and I am deeply saddened and embarrassed.  The world wide sexual abuse of children, the conspiracy to hide and protect the criminal clergy, the all too often open and public homosexuality, the financial scandals, the demands for adherence to rigid man- made dogma at the expense of Christ’s message of love and service threatens Catholicism.  The Church of Rome has become the church of the clergy.  Its purpose, to serve and protect its priests, bishops, and cardinals.  As a result,  many devout Catholics have become devout Anglicans, Lutherans, and Evangelicals.   And if not for my mother, so go I.



But despite my cynicism, I see hope in the pope who has no need for handmade slippers, gold crosses, papal estates, limousines; a pope who has no interest in writing esoteric treatise on abstract theological principles;  a pope who remembers the  message of Jesus. 

Francis, I, like millions of others, want to be a Catholic.   We want our church to be the moral compass of humanity.  But it isn't. Instead it looks more like the church of Martin Luther.
We look to you, save us, restore us.

No comments:

Post a Comment