Saturday, October 3, 2015

A favorite of Lizzie McElwain

The Gipsy Girl's Dream

I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls,
With vassals and serfs at my side,
And of all who assembled within those walls,
That I was the hope and the pride.

I had riches too great to count, could boast
Of a high ancestral name;
But I also dreamt, which pleased me most,
That you lov'd me still the same...

I dreamt that suitors sought my hand;
That knights upon bended knee,
And with vows no maiden heart could withstand,
They pledg'd their faith to me;

And I dreamt that one of that noble host
Came forth my hand to claim.
But I also dreamt, which charmed me most,
That you lov'd me still the same...

-- Michael Balfe

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you could remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. grandma would often quote from the poem during conversations with mother

    ReplyDelete