Sunday, July 7, 2013

Dear Diary: I am familiar with the sullen morose poetry of Baudelaire, and the tragic pathos of Thomas Mann, but I wish to know more original Goths and Metal Heads.

Lets try a little Jean Nicholas Arthur Rimbaud (20 October 1854 – 10 November 1891).  The photo is of him at 17 yrs old.  All his poetry was written when he was a teenager; he gave it up before he turned 20.

The Seekers of Lice
When the child's forehead, full of red torments, 
Implores the white swarm of indistinct dreams, 
There come near his bed two tall charming sisters 
With slim fingers that have silvery nails. 
They seat the child in front of a wide open 
Window where the blue air bathes a mass of flowers, 
And in his heavy hair where the dew falls, 
Move their delicate, fearful and enticing fingers. 
He listens to the singing of their apprehensive breath 
Which smells of long rosy plant honey, 
And which at times a hiss interrupts, saliva 
Caught on the lip or desire for kisses. 
He hears their black eyelashes beating 
in the perfumed Silence; 
and their gentle electric fingers 
Make in his half-drunken indolence the death of the little lice 
Crackle under their royal nails. 
Then the wine of Sloth rises in him, 
The sigh of an harmonica which could bring on delirium
The child feels, according to the slowness of the caresses, 
Surging in him and dying continuously a desire to cry.

That one is almost sweet.  Something edgier follows when you click on "read more".


Stolen Heart
My sad heart slobbers at the poop
my heart covered with tobacco-spit
They spew streams of soup at it
My sad heart drools at the poop
Under the jeerings of the soldiers
who break out laughing
my sad heart drools at the poop
my heart covered with tobacco-spit.

Ithypallic and soldierish
Their jeerings have depraved it
In the rudder you see frescoes
Ithypallic and soldierish
O, abracadabratic waves
Take my heart, let it be washed!

Ithypallic and soldierish
their jeerings have depraved it.
When they have used up their quid
How will I act, O stolen heart?
There will be Bacchic hiccups
When they have used up their quid
I will have stomach retchings
If my heart is degraded;
When they have used up their quid
How will I act, O stolen heart?

-Arthur Rimbaud

No comments:

Post a Comment