Friday, July 26, 2013

Tips for Baby Boomers - #1

I am field testing the "Gopher II" reach and pickup tool for the decrepit and/or lazy.  I bought one today - only 9.99 Wal Mart, Target, etc.  It was easy to assemble, i.e. unfold; I quickly learned the locking mechanism and what is technically called the "Squeeze Trigger".  I was quickly able to pickup a piece of paper off the floor of the car.  Voila'!
The most exciting part of this purchase you will find is the very readable novella of instructions on the reverse side of the cardboard that comes with the Gopher.  It was attached to the cardboard by 3 plastic ties that proved quite resilient to breaking.  I had to ask the woman in the parking spot next to me for a pair of scissors or in this case wire cutters.  Once executed I was free to reach and pickup willy-nilly.
The instructions state that there are HUNDREDS OF USES for the Gopher and that inspired me to begin this line of blog.  We'll see if that's a truism. Over the next few weeks I will investigate the many uses of the Gopher and pass that on to the reader. Consider this both a Consumer Advocate and a Reach and Grab Service.
Don't let the Hi-Tech
Appearance Put you Off
I'll guide you through it.
Item #1.  I am not disabled such that I can't pick up things around my home - clothes, papers, etc. - I am able, just disinclined.  Everything hurts so I just put it off till later.  Consequently I have much debris here and there, not trash or garbage, just debris.  I decided today to try out the Gopher II on dirty socks.  Underwear, shirts, tissues, egg shells, cups, wine bottles, newspapers will wait till I get the learning curve leveled out with this device.  The Gopher II worked well though it had difficulty with wet gym socks and with socks under the couch.  I give it a Reach and Pick Up score of 4.6 out of 5 for socks.  Stay tuned for more tests - next time: Putting Socks in Hamper; Handling Eggs; Ringing a Door Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment