Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Newgrange, Ireland



Newgrange was constructed over 5,000 years ago (about 3,200 B.C.), older than Stonehenge in England and the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and one of the oldest man made structures in the world.. Newgrange was built during the Neolithic or New Stone Age by a farming community that prospered on the rich lands of the Boyne Valley, Ireland.


I contains chambers and passageways, and is adorned with Neolithic art .  The building is aligned with the rising sun and its light floods the chamber on the winter solstice.  Newgrange shares many similarities with other Neolithic constructions  in Scotland and Wales.

Archaeologists classified Newgrange as a passage tomb, however Newgrange is now recognised to be much more than a passage tomb. Ancient Temple is a more fitting classification, a place of astrological, spiritual, religious and ceremonial importance, much as present day cathedrals are places of prestige and worship where dignitaries may be laid to rest.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there I am so happy I found your weblog,
    I really found you by accident, while I was looking on Google for something else,
    Anyhow I am here now andd would just like to say cheers for
    a remarkable post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time tto
    read it all at the mionute but I have saved it and also added
    your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the aweswome jo.

    ReplyDelete